Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I Am Free


You have nothing on me,
Nothing to drag me to your level.
I am free,
And freedom has never tasted
this good.

I will not be shoved into
your tight molds,
Fit for no one other than
plastic dolls with glazed eyes
and unrealistic proportions.

I will not kiss the boots
of your strong and mighty,
With verbal whips and strong
arms to wield them.

I embrace the slime of society.
My life depends on them,
Yours as well.
You owe every breath
you breathe to the worms
in the dirt and the birds
in the trees.

We bite the very hands
that feed us,
And the ones above us
kick us across the room
with steel toed boots.

Where’s the freedom in that?
Yet we call this a free country,
Putting it up on a pedestal
for everyone to see
and praise.

You have nothing on me,
Nothing to drag me to your level.
I am free,
And freedom has never tasted
this good.

((written by Julie Bryant)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment